During a busy week of Grammy events, and with Sound City about to get its UK TV debut, Dave got on the phone from LA to chat to Zane about the documentary, but as the phone call wound up Dave was asked how recording was going:
“How’s the Foos record going?”
“It’s Incredible. I mean, we haven’t really disclosed exactly what we’re doing, and there’s rumours on the internet of what’s going on… Well, we’re doing something that nobody really knows about and we’ll announce pretty soon I think. We’re making these songs in a way that I’m not sure anyone’s really done yet, and I know what it sounds like and I honestly think the entire concept is going to take people by surprise and it sounds nuts man. Like, we recorded something the other day that’s unlike anything we’ve ever done before… it starts with a fuse and then it just explodes. It’s awesome man. It’s gonna be great. I can’t wait.”
With Rope as his ‘Hottest Record In The World’ Zane Lowe caught up with the band for a brief chat and here’s what was discussed:
- Rope is about 3 years old and was written at sounchecks during the ESP&G tour.
- Dave’s Godlike Genius award from NME has made him the subject of much teasing from the band.
And that was about it – it really was a brief chat because a full and proper interview will be played out when the album is released.
Zane Lowe – 7pm, February 23rd, Radio One.
Zane catches up with the band;
Gonzo, 8pm, 25th February, MTV Rocks.
The band will also be interviewed by Alexa Chung and face viewers questions ; http://www.mtv.co.uk/shows/gonzo-with-alexa-chung/
T4 at the NME Awards – 11.25am, 26th February, Channel 4.
Alexa Chung and Nick Grimshaw go backstage at the awards ceremony to talk to the winners and losers, and introduce performances by Foo Fighters, with Godlike Genius winner Dave Grohl, and Arcade Fire.
The NME Awards – 11.20pm, 26th February, Channel 4.
Shooting Stars panellist Angelos Epithemiou hosts the music awards ceremony, and there are backstage reports by Alexa Chung and Nick Grimshaw. With performances by Arcade Fire, PJ Harvey, and Godlike Genius recipient Dave Grohl with the Foo Fighters.
Zane Lowe took over Radio One’s breakfast show for a week, and as he looked ahead to some of 2011’s big record releases, he caught up with Dave on the phone. After a quick back-and-forth trading double entendres based around ‘sprinkling nuts’ & ‘double dipping’ they talked business and these are the points of interest:
• The record is entirely finished.
• Butch Vig claims making this record was the most fun he’s had in his career.
• There are 11 “massive” songs on the record and not one “sleepy ballad”.
• The album still has no confirmed title.
• The artwork will all be handmade.
• The single has yet to be decided & an airdate is still to be confirmed.
• ‘Spring’ is as much of a release date for the album that Dave will reveal.
Zane Lowe caught up with Dave on the telephone to primarily plug some UK dates next Summer but that wasn’t all that was covered. So here are the points of interest:
- 2 nights at Milton Keyes Bowl on July 2nd & 3rd 2011. Support comes from Biffy Clyro, Jimmy Eat World & Death Cab For Cutie, Tame Impala & The Hot Rats.
- The new album is “full on” thanks to Butch Vig keeping Dave to his promise it’d be the heaviest Foos album yet.
- 7 songs have been recorded with a possible 7 more to go.
- Ex Husker Du frontman Bob Mould sings with Dave on ‘Dear Rosemary’. (according to Kerrang! Bob will also DJ at both the Milton Keyes shows)
- Krist Novoselic plays bass on a track.
28th October – Dave chats on the phone to Zane Lowe.
3rd November – Foo Fighters perfom on Later w/ Jools Holland.
4th November – Dave joins Chris Moyles on the Breakfast Show.
7th November – Dermot O’Leary talks to Dave about the Greatest Hits.
Click on the relevant links above for each show’s exact broadcast time & once broadast all shows will be available for 7 days on the BBC iPlayer.
‘Word Forward’ was Zane Lowe’s ‘Hottest Record In The World’ on his October 22nd radio show. Hear the radio edit of it here:
Along with premiering ‘Wheels’ on his Radio One show tonight (September 23rd) Zane Lowe caught up with Dave on the phone for a quick interview. Here are the points of interest:
- The tracklisting was finalized (with the help of Pat Smear) just a few days ago.
- Foo Fighters are “taking it easy” & are putting off recording a new album until everybody is happy and ready to.
- Them Crooked Vultures’ album still doesn’t have a title.
The studio version of ‘Wheels’ will get it’s radio debut this Wednesday (September 21st) and Dave will also be on the phone to chat with Zane.
Although a live version has been out there for quite a while, Zane Lowe played a clip from the studio version on his show last night.
Check it out on iPlayer. (approximately 21 mins in)