After standing her up the previous week when he’d promised to call the show, Dave spoke to Jo Whiley to coincide with ‘Wasting Light’ topping the UK album charts & here are the points of interest:
- Dave was out for dinner last week with Paul McCartney but didn’t mention Foo Fighters Beatles tribute at the David Letterman taping.
- Helen Mirren had men “falling at her feet” while taping SNL.
- After playing the barn of a tobacco farm as part of the Blackberry Garage Tour, Foo Fighters found out they were going to be #1 while sitting in a Chick-Fil-A.
- He doesn’t have a current favourite scary movie but said Amityville & Exorcist scarred him for life.
- Jo made him promise the band will play on the show next time they’re in the country.
On Sunday 27 March Jo Whiley presents her last weekend afternoon show for BBC Radio 1 before moving to present a new show over on BBC Radio 2.
Having spent 17 years with Radio 1, this will be a special weekend for Jo, with tributes to this incredible lady from many of her friends from the music and entertainment world including her guest on many occasions Dave Grohl.
The show is broadcast between 1.oo – 4.oopm & will be available for 7 days afterwards on the BBC iPlayer.
Ahead of the 250th episode of ‘Later…. with Jools Holland’ a selection of artists and fans of the show picked their favourite and most memorable performances from over the years.
Jo Whiley picked the band performing ‘All My Life’ as her highlight – and you can catch it on the BBC iPlayer here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ttbgs
(it’s approximately 30 mins in).
The 2002 appearance saw the band played alongside Coldplay, The Datsuns, Graham Coxon & Robbie Williams. Jo Whiley was in the audience that night – as was I. Here’s the proof:
Each week, Jo invites a guest to pick a car, a destination and three tracks they’d like to play on the car stereo, as they go with her on an imaginative musical journey and tomorrow Dave is in the driving seat.
He also recorded an acoustic version of ‘Wheels’ for her show – the first time the song has been recorded acoustically.
Check out a video of the performance HERE.